About Me

Nooksack, Washington, United States

Monday, July 19, 2010

Shiny

Today I am thankful for the dark things
The hard times
The sweat and the tears
The aches
The pain
The brokenness
Without these as the backdrop I would not know the beauty of all the good
They create the contrast
They allow all the bright spots to shine even brighter

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I took another run around the neighborhood
and realized that on this earth as it is -
The race is not always to the swift
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor the satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned....

It dawned on me after I hit "publish post" that I didn't make the best connection between what was in my head and what I wrote on the page. In the last year I have taken up running. It has been a thing of beauty for me, it's my therapy. When I run it's just me and God and I can pound the pavement with my anger. Sometimes it hurts, but the physical pain is a welcome feeling when I move my body down the road. It reminds me of the valley's I've already walked through and the mountains I've climbed. As I see the end, the finish line nearing, I am washed with the joy of knowing it's almost over. Soon I will be able to still my feet, calm my pounding heart, just as it is when I come to the end of a trial, or remebering a painful moment from my childhood. It will come to an end. I won't run forever. There is a finish line. What matters is that I persevere, that I endure. I have learned that I do not have to be the fastest, the smartest, the bravest, but if I stay focused and keep moving I will eventually get to the end. I will be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment